Friday, December 7, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 12/06/12: December Color, First Chicken, Graceland Forever

1.  I very much enjoyed walking from home to the Cornucopia for breakfast, winding my way through the neighborhood south of 13th, up and down Lawrence, Lincoln, Washington, and Jefferson streets.  I had my camera, but I wasn't taking very good pictures.  Late in the walk, I realized that on such a gray day that it might be fun to photograph flowers and other colorful survivors in the natural world.  I'll walk again tomorrow and take pictures of flowers, of color.  Late in today's walk, I did, however, take this picture.


2.  Until today, I had never roasted a chicken before.  Crazy!  I know.  Right?   I had a fun time following the buttery directions of America's Test Kitchen cookbook and it turned out pretty good.  The Deke and I had a nice dinner of roast chicken, green beans, brown rice, gravy (Deke's), and cranberry relish (Deke's).

3.  While I was eating breakfast, my twenty-something server strode back toward the kitchen singing, along with Paul Simon, those unforgettable words:  "You can call me, Al".  I thought how Graceland has been alive, been omnipresent for twenty-six years now and that the album might be older than this fellow and how when I was his age there was not one song, not one album from the year of my birth, or thereabouts, that I ever sang along to at work or anywhere else.  Heh.  It's been a new world for a long time. 

No comments: