Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Three Beautiful Things 12/24/12: Kellogg, Never Alone at Delta Ponds, Rib Eye Dinner, BONUS: Liturgical Copia

1.  I've been alone at Christmas a couple or three times before and I know how to keep things merry.  Yes, I would enjoy being with Deke or being in Kellogg with family, but this year the Deke is spending Christmas with her daughters and I stayed home to take care of the dorks (the corgis).  One way to keep things merry is to talk with Christy on the phone and get reports from Kellogg and then to get a series of text messages updating me.  I love the pictures Carol posted, as well. 

2.  Usually when I go to Delta Ponds Park, I am by myself, but who could feel alone out there?  Today was chilly, but not raining, and I enjoyed the geese, ducks, and other fowl and continued to keep a close eye on the foliage and being at the park kept me in really good company.  

3.  My Christmas Eve steak dinner was delicious.  I managed to cook my rib eye steak perfectly medium rare and it was so rich and tender that the work "buttery" came to mind.  I'm very happy I decided that this was the dinner I wanted this evening. 

Bonus:  Sometimes three isn't enough!  The nine o'clock Eucharist was beautiful.  Candles.  The green boughs.  The explosion of flowers on the altar.  This is another way I keep things merry when flying solo on Christmas:  be with my fellow parishioners at St. Mary's and, as another bonus, take part in a Rite I Eucharist with all of its copious exploration of the Christian experience, with all of its beautiful, if slightly archaic, language.  I love liturgical copia.

No comments: