Saturday, January 14, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 01/13/17: *The Food Lab*, New Exercises, Relaxing at Old Line

1. I sat quietly for a few hours and read the early chapters of J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's informal, conversational, and brilliant book on better home cooking through science, The Food Lab.  As I was reading Lopez-Alt's chapter on essential kitchen gear, I chuckled, thinking how fun it would be to buy all these different things: high power blender, food processor, eclectic knife set, tri-ply cookware, wok, and so on, but I don't really have a lot of money to spend on these things and there is no room in the tiny kitchen of our apartment home to put them. So, I'll keep learning more about cooking and do the best I can with the pots, pans, knives, cast iron skillets, crock pot, electric frying pan, and other gear I already have and try to be imaginative and make it work. I just want to get better at cooking. I have no illusions of ever knowing what it's like to be an accomplished home cook with a fully stocked and spacious kitchen. But, hey, I really enjoy reading about it.

2. I am happy to say that I went to the pool four out of five days between Monday and Friday. Thursday night, I read this article describing effective pool exercises and I tried out a couple of them today, adding to my routine.

3. It was a long slog of a week for the Deke at school. Take my word for it. We went to Old Line for a couple of beers. I very much enjoyed my pints of Bell's Roundhouse India Red Ale and my order of Old Bay seasoned chicken wings. We came home and continued our party, splitting a bottle of an old favorite of ours, Yeti Oatmeal Stout. Our party helped the Deke relax and we began to look forward to a three day weekend with no plans.

No comments: