Sunday, January 15, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 01/14/17: Good Stores, Simple Sauce, *Alex's Day Off*

1.  I can't remember why I went to MOM's Organic Market rather than the Co-op Saturday morning. I remember saying to the Deke, "Okay, then, I guess I'll go to MOM's", but I don't remember why. Oh, well. As always, I was glad I did. Yes, the milk, half and half, onions, bananas, apples, bulk basmati rice, and other items cost a little more, but that sample of some blueberry bread item at the Spring Hill Bakery counter in the back of the store melted as I ate it. Three different employees went out of their way to be kind to me with solicitous offers and warm smiles. I enjoy the Co-op, too, for different reasons, mainly having to do with how welcoming the Co-op is to older people in Greenbelt -- older than I am -- who are often slow, sometimes not feeling well, and often in need of patience and goodwill. I'm glad the Deke and I landed in Greenbelt with two such fine stores both within fifteen minutes of our apartment home.

2.  The Deke asked me to prepare pasta sauce to take to the Diazes for dinner tonight. I immediate flashed on one of my favorites: the velvety, simple, elegant sauce called Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce, here.  All it requires is combining canned tomatoes, an onion peeled and cut in half, salt, and butter in a sauce pan and simmering it for about 45 minutes. After the sauce simmers, the onion is discarded, although I know of people who keep the onion and eat it as a side.  All the adults loved the sauce spooned over penne pasta, garnished with grated fresh parmesan/romano cheese. Hiram enjoys food with heat, so he added red pepper flakes to his serving -- the sauce is so simple that it opens the way for such additions.

3. I watched a bunch of videos this evening -- Sleater-Kinney and Pearl Jam joining forces to perform "Rockin' in the Free World"; Charlie Rose interviewing Robert Altman not long after the release of The Player; a few more episodes of Chopped After Hours. I also discovered a series of videos entitled Alex's Day Off. They feature chef Alex Guarnaschetti cooking in her apartment.  Watching the episode, "Steakhouse Dinner", excited my food lust. Chef Alex not only pan fries the most delicious looking porterhouse steak I've ever seen, she also prepares stuffed mushrooms, a romaine salad with bleu cheese, and a butter for her steak. Wow! What a gorgeous meal and Chef Alex is very generous with her instruction.  I'll be watching more videos from this series.  If you are a steak lover and if you want to excite your desire for a nearly unimaginably superb, possibly decadent steak dinner, just click here.

No comments: