Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 01/17/17: Hiram on Television, Shakshuka and Eggplant, Crybabies and Alex Guarnaschelli

1.  It was fun today to have a local news story appear that featured an interview on local D. C. television with our son-in-law, Hiram, as he and The President's Own United States Marine band prepare to play at Friday's inauguration ceremony. I don't know how long this link will work. I don't know when NBC Washington will take this story down.  But, if you'd like to learn a little more about the history of the band and hear two band members, including Hiram, interviewed, just click here.

2.  It was fun and easy to roast some eggplant pieces and fold them into the Shakshuka I had going in the electric frying pan. I love making a dent in the Shakshuka and cracking an egg in it and letting the egg poach and I toasted myself pita bread to dip into the spicy sauce and the egg.  Normally, I think, Shakshuka is a breakfast or brunch dish, but it's very flexible and provided the Deke and me with a delicious dinner. Curious? Check out the Shakshuka recipe I used, here.

3. I listened to the latest episode of The Big Listen podcast, here, and, among other things, learned about writer Susan Orleans and actor Sarah Thyre's podcast, Crybabies, devoted to movies, songs, and anything else that has made their guests, including, among others, Neko Case, Weird Al Yankovic, and Christopher Guest, cry. Check it out, here. Later in the evening, I was perusing the archives of the podcast, Special Sauce, a favorite of mine, and, to my delight, saw that Ed Levine had interviewed Alex Guarnaschelli back in October and I had a great time listening to Ed and Alex gab. I felt giddy when I found out that Alex's mother, Maria Guaraschelli, a renowned cookbook editor, edited a cookbook I've been devouring and enjoying lately, The Food Lab.  If you'd like to hear this interview, all you have to do is click right here.

No comments: