Thursday, February 16, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 02/15/17: Mom Fell -- Seems Okay, Lemon Ginger Stir Fry, Gnocchi After Hours

1. Christy called me around noon Eastern Standard Time to tell me that Mom seemed to be doing all right after she took a backward fall Tuesday evening in Carol and Paul's house, pulling her walker onto herself. It was a fluky accident. As the day moved along, I didn't receive any updates so that must mean nothing bad had developed during the day on Wednesday, although Mom must have bruised herself. Relieved that Mom had not seriously injured herself, I could then enjoy the rest of our conversation, especially Christy telling me about Mom's general improvement as her wound heals, her work at the library, her recent trip with Everett and the dogs to Montana, other family news, and what's happening with other people around Kellogg.

2. I wanted to use what we had on hand to make dinner tonight so I got out the electric fry pan and made a tofu, onion, and broccoli stir fry and a pot of white basmati rice. I really like broccoli and lemon, so I went online in search of a lemon stir fry sauce and I found one that combined vegetable broth (I used some of my homemade chicken stock), soy sauce, sesame oil, water, fresh ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Thanks to this sauce, it was a killer stir fry. I spiced my bowl up with some sriracha, a little too much, in fact, so when I had a second half bowl of this stir fry, I put a small bit of sriracha in the bowl and then I could enjoy the heat without burying the lemon and ginger and garlic flavors of the sauce. Interested? The sauce recipe is the first half of a larger recipe found right here.

3. I enjoyed watching Marcus Samuelsson on an episode about New Nordic cuisine on Amazon's Eat the World and especially enjoyed his two part conversation with Ed Levine on the podcast, Special Sauce. Tonight, I went to the home page of Chopped and was happy to discover an episode of "After Hours" that I hadn't seen before and one of the chefs was Marcus Samuelsson. In an episode focused on pasta, he surprised everyone by making gnocchi. That reminded me that I've been wanting to give gnocchi a try and so I watched a couple of how-to videos and now it's just a matter of when I decide to do it.

No comments: