Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Three Beautiful Things: 02/27/17: Blood Draw, Leisurely Session at Wegman's, Greek Flatbread Dinner

1.  Not only did I have my monthly blood draw for the transplant center done this morning, but I also had about a thousand bucks, or about six tubes or so, worth of other blood drawn in support of my annual physical exam last week and in anticipation of my mid-March visit to the transplant center in Baltimore and my end of March appointment with my kidney doctor.  This was a fasting lab and I went to Panera afterward and broke my fast with a cinnamon crunch bagel, toasted, with cream cheese and a cup of coffee.

2.  I decided to make grocery shopping today a multi-hour effort and drove up to Columbia and spent a couple of hours walking the aisles of Wegman's, mainly for a change of pace. It was fun. I've come to terms with the model train choo-chooing overhead and surrendered to how huge the Wegman's store is and I lost myself looking at cheese from around the world, wet and shiny shellfish at the fish counter, the many meals in a box, some pre-cooked, others not, and the non-food items, especially kitchen utensils. I bought a good supply of groceries and had a pleasant conversation with the woman who checked out my cart about tiny cucumbers and how much she enjoys cucumber sauce.

3.  I was looking for pita bread at Wegman's and, instead, came upon bags of Greek flatbread. I purchased a bag and on the front was a picture of falafel, tomatoes, cucumbers, and other food folded into a round of flatbread. I thought, aha!, the Deke and I would like such a thing for dinner. So, at home, I chopped up an eggplant into very small pieces, salted them, and sauteed them in olive oil. In the meantime, I cut thin slices of red onion, sliced up a few slightly larger than cherry tomatoes, sliced a couple of tiny cucumbers, and made a zesty lemon yogurt sauce. I also set out the taboule salad I purchased at Costco, to be either eaten as a side or to be part of the Greek sandwich. It was a great dinner -- full of flavor and substance -- and I will now always be on the lookout for Greek flatbread.

No comments: