Saturday, September 14, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 09/13/19: Touring Whitworth's Campus, Mt. View Ln and Queen of Sheba, Slate Creek and the Lounge

1. Originally, I had planned to get up and out the door fairly early this morning. I got up early, but my Airbnb room was so comfortable, so quiet, and so private and it was furnished with a desk, so I stayed in until nearly 10:00. I wrote in my blog. I got cleaned up. I used the coffee maker in the room and fixed a couple of cups of coffee.

I then drove to the campus of Whitworth University. It took me a while to find a visitors' parking spot.  I got out of the car and strolled around. I thought back to May of 1984 when I last worked at Whitworth. I remembered conversations I had with Professor Craig Thomas about the physical campus. It bothered Craig that the campus featured so many aging facilities, both dorms and classroom/office spaces. I, on the other hand, had enjoyed this feature of Whitworth. I romanticized it. I was a student at Whitworth during a time when many students work flannel shirts or bib overalls and other very modest clothing. For many students, the in thing was not to dress flashy. I think the idea was that stylish appearances didn't matter. The inward person did.

Well, in my idealizing mind, I carried this idea over to the campus' physical appearance. I let myself believe that the rundown facilities on campus were a sign that the college cared more about its spiritual and educational mission than whether it had nice buildings. Who knows what the truth was!

I believe if Craig Thomas walked onto the campus of Whitworth University in 2019, he would be astonished by the campus' transformation: many new buildings have gone up; older buildings like the HUB, Westminster, the library, and Dixon along with old dorms like Ballard and McMillan have been renovated; the walkways on campus have been redesigned; I think there are fewer pine trees (not sure), but many deciduous trees and scores of flowers now grow in the central campus area; it's a larger, much more attractive campus.

When I went to Whitworth University today, I thought I'd experience a rush of memories from 35-45 years ago, but I didn't really. In order to get my memories to kick in, I had to try to see the buildings I frequented and the layout of the campus the way it was back in the 1970s and 80s. I didn't do much of that. Instead, I marveled at the Whitworth campus of 2019. I took a stroll on the first floor of Dixon Hall and it was completely unrecognizable from when I attended classes and taught classes there. Cowles Auditorium is currently closed. It's being remodeled. I had been in the HUB a couple of years ago and didn't return today, but I thought wistfully about when the Campus Ministry program was housed in the back of that building -- no chapel, tiny offices, hardly the center of campus -- and thought again, as I have many times before, about the positive change that occurred when the current chapel and theology center was built more in the center of campus, not only giving the chaplain's program a more centralized location, but also providing a place of worship on campus.

Soon I'll contact someone at Whitworth University and get a clearer understanding of my parking options on campus if I'm visiting. I think I'll go back on occasion. I'd like to attend a chapel service. I'd love to sit in on an English class if that's possible.  I wish I could visit professors I know on campus, but I think there are only two left with whom I'm acquainted.

I'll be attending a Whitworth sponsored lecture given by Bob Woodward on Oct. 4th. It's downtown. The following weekend, the Whitworth Theater Dept. is putting on A Midsummer Night's Dream downtown. I just might go to the Sunday matinee. I saw signs on campus advertising speakers and writers coming to campus who looked interesting. I think I'll do a better job of keeping current with what's happening at the old alma mater and possibly go over for some events and presentations.

2. I left campus and drove on Mountain View Lane, turned around, and drove it again. I lived in a little house on Jim and Linda Hunt's property from 1976-78 and I wanted to see what things looked like over 40 years later. It was thrilling to see how Jim and Linda have beautified what was already a handsome property. The little house I lived in no longer exists. It looked to me like it's a garage now. I'd actually forgotten what a superb place that was to live. The view of North Spokane and on west is awesome, especially in the fall and winter, and the houses along Mountain View Lane are  older homes that have aged very well. Because the Hunt's house and yard and gardens are so marvelously transformed and because the little house is gone, I couldn't quite experience specific memories the way I might have liked to, but I thoroughly enjoyed making this little jaunt, driving by where I once lived.

I took a circuitous route back downtown and eventually parked on Mallon Street and walked to the Flour Mill so I could have lunch at Queen of Sheba, the Ethiopian restaurant I didn't make it to yesterday afternoon. It's a tiny restaurant, handsomely appointed with what I think is Ethiopian decor. I wanted to eat here for a couple of reasons. First, I don't think I've ever eaten Ethiopian cuisine and, secondly, I have watched many shows on television featuring Chef Marcus Sammuelson, who was born in Ethiopia, but adopted by a Swedish family where he grew up. Chef Marcus often talks about the food of Ethiopia and on his PBS program, No Passport Required, in Episode 6, he visited Ethiopian restaurants in D. C. and Silver Spring and his enthusiasm for the food inspired me to try out this restaurant.

In particular, I remembered Chef Marcus' love for injera, a spongy flatbread featured in Ethiopian dishes. No matter what I ordered, I was eager to do my best to wrap injera around my food and eat the way I'd read is the practice in Ethiopia and that Chef Marcus had explained. I ordered a mild lamb curry stew called Yebeg Alich'a. Unlike many curries I am more used to eating, this curry had little or no heat and its flavor was built upon the combination of the lamb in combination with tumeric, garlic, ginger, and onions. I used my spoon to scoop the stew onto torn of pieces of injera. It took me a few bites to adjust to the mildness of the curry, but, as I did, I appreciated more and more the flavors present and enjoyed my meal along with a couple of glasses of Ethiopian spiced ice tea.

3. I checked out Four Thousand Holes, a used record and cd shop on N. Monroe and walked out empty handed. I did a little more cruising around Spokane. I thought a lot these last couple of days about how much I really don't know Spokane any more. Having gone to college in Spokane, visited often, and having lived here two different times, I had come to enjoy a Spokane that, as you'd expect with the passing of time, doesn't really exist any longer. Since moving to Kellogg, I haven't spent much time in Spokane and I can tell that if Spokane is going to become a place I enjoy a lot again, I'm going to have to learn the place again and learn all over again where I like to spend time. I have begun to do this. Christy, Carol, and I had a fun time in the Perry District. Both Manito Park and Riverfront Park are wonderful. I have enjoyed my two or three visits to the Manito Tap House. When Deborah, Scott, and I met at the Rockwood Bakery, I loved it. I plan to return to the Steelhead Bar and Grille. Before too long, I'll go hiking at Riverside State Park and on trails near Mt. Spokane and other places. I'm looking forward to further exploration.

I left Spokane, dropped into the CdA Costco for a couple of things and then met up with Byrdman for a couple of beers at Slate Creek. Slate Creek is a perfect neighborhood brewery -- it's fairly small, hosts many regulars, is run really well, and offers a short tap list of high quality beers. Today I enjoyed Slate Creek's own Tiki IPA. It featured New Zealand hops and was a pleasure to drink.

Back in Kellogg, I had a good b.s. session with Eddie Joe, enjoyed a hamburger and fries delivered from the Elks, and returned home, wrote a glowing review of my Airbnb experience, and soon hit the hay.

It was a full day, a very good day and I had a lot on my mind.


No comments: