Monday, September 16, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 09/15/19: Toe Update, Moroccan Family Dinner, Good Conversations

1. This weekend my injured big toe has become more red. It's not painful and it's still flexible and I can walk all right, but I decided to give it a rest today and I'm going to have a doctor look at it tomorrow.

2. Carol and Paul hosted family dinner tonight. We began with cocktails. Carol had made a cranberry liqueur and served it mixed with tonic water. Then Paul and Carol brought out a Moroccan warm eggplant salad and pita chips and this appetizer set the culinary tone for the evening. The main dish was a Moroccan chicken dish, thighs and drumsticks served with dates over rice. Tonight's dishes featured some of my favorite flavors between them: turmeric, garlic, ginger, cardamom, cumin, and others.

3. Carol and Paul had participated Friday in a murder mystery dinner party/auction to raise money for the Silver Valley Chamber of Commerce. I didn't understand, from the pictures of the event I saw on Facebook, quite how this murder mystery part of the evening worked. Paul explained it and once I realized it was more of a game than a theatrical presentation, it made sense. Tonight I also learned more about the local Community Concert Series and enjoyed being a part of a conversation with Carol, Paul, and Debbie about churches and conflict and the difficulties that can develop. I enjoyed how this conversation was, ultimately, about the mystery of the nature of God and how different people experience God -- in the church and in the world. We didn't solve anything. We just talked for a while.

No comments: