Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 09/24/19: Relaxed Morning, The Counter, Evening with Teddy

1. I was so comfortable in Studio 7B, the Airbnb space I rented in Ponderay, that I slept in until after 7:30. For the next three and a half hours, I enjoyed the quiet. I fixed French press coffee. I wrote. I showered. I got packed up. I tidied up Studio 7B. Rested and refreshed, I hit the road.

2. After the big dinner I ate Monday night at the Silo Bar, I wasn't really even hungry again until just before I reached CdA. I cozied up to the counter at the Breakfast Nook. I hadn't noticed when I sat down that the guy who, last time I was in, talked loudly about his ex-wife (well, wives) and sang along with "We Can Work It Out" was also at the counter. Today, his ex-wife was still on his mind, but he spared the cafe any sing along performances today;  he didn't, however, spare the help his constant stream of chatter and requests for advice.  I furtively glanced his way and saw that he had nearly finished the food in front of him, so I stayed put. In the future, I'll sit at a table away from the counter if I see this man is at the counter. It will make eating at the Breakfast Nook more peaceful for me. I ordered Eggs Benedict (it turned out to be the only meal I'd need today), did my best to tune out the loud guy, and enjoyed my food -- and enjoyed it even more when he settled up and left.

3. Back in Kellogg, I joined my sisters at Carol and Paul's house where we had a fun visit with Jeff (Teddy) Turnbow. Teddy was in town to visit his mother, Corrine, at the nursing home across the street. Teddy, Corrine, and Gail Deeder had just finished having dinner uptown. Teddy helped Corrine get settled back into her room and we joined together to do some non-stop yakking. The last time I had seen Teddy was about 15 years ago (give or take a year or two) at the Blue Lagoon on Highway 2 past Rose Lake when his mom and dad had a 50 year wedding anniversary party. I'll just say that a lot has happened in the intervening years and a lot I didn't know about had happened before that (!) and I enjoyed listening to Teddy catch us up on a wide variety of things this evening. Christy brought wine, Carol served a rhubarb crisp with ice cream, and Carol had some gin and tonic on hand and we had a most convivial time re-establishing ourselves with Teddy, a man I've known every single day of his life -- I remember Mom telling me right after he was born that his full name was Theodore Jefferson Turnbow. To my little boy ears, that was the coolest name I'd ever heard and I've never forgotten it!


No comments: