Thursday, September 19, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 09/18/19: Breakfast Nook Counter, Perfect Airbnb, Wildlife Refuge and Beer and Dinner

1. I thought about starting my trip by going to a different cafe than usual in CdA, but, no, I wanted to go where I felt at home, things are familiar, and the food is solid. So, I sat at the counter at the Breakfast Nook and ordered Eggs Benedict and listened to one older guy boast about his days working for the Mafia and to a middle-aged guy bewail to a stranger the behavior of his wife from whom he's separated after singing along to "We Can Work It Out" coming over the house music system.

2. The drive to Bonners Ferry was easy. The gray skies were easy on my eyes and the clouds snuggled up against mountains in the distance created dramatic landscapes. My Airbnb host in Bonners had texted me telling me I could get into my room at any time. It's a perfect place. The owners converted a small barn into a living space with living room and dining area with a television affixed to the wall, an adjoining open space with a mini-fridge and microwave, a bedroom with a big comfortable bed, and a bathroom with a shower. There's a coffee maker. The place is spotless, colorful, quiet, and furnished with comfortable chairs and a sofa. The only drawback: I don't want to leave! I could imagine myself staying here all day, reading and working crosswords, drinking coffee, and napping.

3. But I did leave. I drove out to the Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge. I parked, got out of the Sube, and stood and admired the expanse of the place resting in the lap of the Selkirk Mountains. For me, today, this place was a relaxing refuge, but I didn't see any wildlife. I hiked for a mile on the Deep Creek Trail, an easy and wide track situated on a dike near the still and shallow Deep Creek, but stopped, concerned about my toe, and headed back. I drove to another part of the refuge, found the trail that goes to Myrtle Creek Falls and decided that on Friday I'll try to see three different waterfalls: Myrtle Creek, Copper, and Kootenai (in Montana)

I learned from a little research that there's a craft beer taproom with cider, mead, and tons of cans and bottles also available in downtown Bonners Ferry. Perfect. I descended into the basement of a row of businesses, opened a door, and walked into the cozy CrossTime Saloon. Chris, the very friendly owner and beer pourer, recited his very solid eight beer tap list and I told him I wanted Hop Valley's Cryo Stash Imperial IPA. At that moment, a guy was doing some keg/tap maintenance next to the Cryo Stash keg, so Chris recommended I grab a bottle out of the cooler behind me. I did and I sat and enjoyed two bottles of this excellent beer and found myself drifting back to the 80s (again) as Chris was playing a very popular Genesis album featuring Phil Collins (no Peter Gabriel). It was music that got way over exposed when it came out, but I hadn't listened to this stuff for a long time and the way it moved me and excited great memories took me by surprise.

I drove down Highway 95/2 and decided to have dinner at a place I knew nothing about. I dropped into the Two Tones Cafe, a rustic and cozy eatery featuring an expansive patio out back. No one was eating outdoors this evening as the gray settled in and the temperature was dropping. I looked over the menu and decided, like on Monday, I'd try a plate of spaghetti again and ordered their Spaghetti Extravaganza with a garden salad. DJ or TJ (she has a two initial name), my very friendly server, brought out two tiny and tasty homemade scones with honey butter with the salad and then soon brought me a generous plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce, sweet Italian sausage, red pepper, onion, and mushrooms. I enjoyed it, but I am realizing that I like my sauce a bit thinner than what restaurants serve. The Marcella Hazan sauce I make at home is this way -- rich in taste, but not too thick in texture. I couldn't eat my whole serving and I'll heat the rest up and finish it during my stay at Bonners Ferry.

Back at my room, I relaxed with crossword puzzles and hit the sack early.

No comments: