Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 09/16/19: Got My Toe Checked Out, Imperial IPA, Tomato Street

1. First thing this morning, I bolted in the Sube to the clinic to see if I could get in to see a professional about my big toe. I succeeded. Scott Gibbs, P.A., saw me shortly after 11:30. A P.A. student was working with him and Kiel came in first and looked over my toe and foot, asked me some questions, and then Scott Gibbs took over.

Here is my takeaway:

My toe is not infected, but, as a precaution, I'm going to apply a topical antibiotic cream to the injured area three times a day.

Injuries like mine take several weeks to heal. My toe continues to be red and swollen as a result of the trauma the toe experienced. Gibbs recommended that I take pictures of my toe next to a quarter every few days as a way of tracking its progress.

In time, the toenail will most likely come off and a new one will grow in.

The rest of my foot looks good. I just need to keep the nail on my toe clipped, keep it medicated, and be patient.

2. I decided to buy a portable phone charger for my upcoming trip to the top of Idaho and British Columbia and I drove to Best Buy in CdA and purchased one. It works.

It's hard to say what my favorite style of beer is, but among my very favorites is the Double or Imperial IPA. These are rarely, if ever, on tap here in Kellogg. So, today, having been hankering for one, I strolled into Growler Guys and was delighted that they had two Imperial IPAs on tap. I sampled each: Great Divide's Hercules and Breakside's Precious Snowflake. Both tasted awesome. I decided to order the Precious Snowflake. I sat at a table, drank my 10 oz pour very slowly, relished every drop of the beer, and enjoyed the house music. Growler Guys was playing classic rock and everything sounded perfect: Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band, U2, Steppenwolf, The Beatles, T Rex, and others.

3. Before I headed back over the hill to the Silver Valley, I wanted to eat dinner somewhere. Right there, in front of me, as I walked out the front door of Growler Guys, was Tomato Street.

I remembered back several years when Mom and I ate a meal together at this Tomato Street and, before that, I'm sure Christy (and Everett?) and I ate a meal at the Tomato Street on North Division. Over the last year or so, I have cut way back on eating pasta, and, as a result, I've recently had a hankering for some spaghetti. I satisfied that hankering tonight with spaghetti and zesty tomato sauce along with three meatballs, a small salad, some house bread, and a glass of Merlot. I enjoyed indulging in this meal and it made me think that I might make spaghetti at home again once in a while.

My glass of wine transported me back to Eugene. On occasion, I used to stop in at Pegasus Pizza at the shopping center on 29th and Willamette and would order a glass of Pinot Noir with my pizza. The Merlot I drank tonight was fine, but as I drank it, I realized that I prefer the lighter feel of Pinot Noir. I wish I'd read the wine list more carefully and, if they had it, ordered a Pinot Noir. Tonight, I think I learned, once and for all, that Pinot Noir is my preference, when possible.


No comments: