Sunday, September 1, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/31/19: Out for Breakfast, Jack at the Water Park, Dinner at the Roberts'

1. Adrienne and Josh took advantage of the fact that this morning was not a get right up and go time and went to Pinehurst for a fresh and filling breakfast at Goose n Tree. Patrick and Meagan also went out to breakfast. They went uptown to the Backcountry Cafe. Jack occupied himself with glue and yarn and paper plates and bowls, making stuff at the kitchen table and with the fly swatter, doing his best to rid the house of pests.

2. Patrick and Meagan took Jack over to the local water park for a few hours. Josh and Adrienne took a much needed and well deserved rest. I retired to the Vizio room and worked crossword puzzles and watched the Phillies and the Mets.

3. At four o'clock, Christy, Everett, Debbie, Patrick, Meagan, Adrienne, Josh, Jack, and I arrived at Carol and Paul's house for a dinner of grilled brats, potato salad, green salad, and chips. Christy made Cowboy Cookies for dessert, served with a small container of ice cream. Jack played bocce ball, shot pool, and played darts with a variety of competitors and had a superb time.

Back home, the evening ended with Patrick, Meagan, and I sitting in the living room, listening to selections from Patrick and Meagan's YouTube playlist, capping off a fun evening of discussing movies and music. Talking with Patrick and Meagan transports me back to my days teaching at LCC, especially when I acted in plays. In the classroom, my office, and in the basement beneath the theater, I spent hours listening to young people discuss movies they watched and music they were listening to. They always expanded my horizons and prompted me to watch movies I otherwise would have missed and listen to music that was unfamiliar to me.  Patrick and Meagan did the same for me tonight.

No comments: