Thursday, September 26, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 09/25/19: Silence, Yellow Curry, Big Toe Update

1. I enjoyed being in the house today after nearly a week away. I loved being away and hiking new trails and seeing new landscapes and, today, I loved being with Charly, getting my travel laundry done, and spending much of the day being still -- no tv, no music, nothing but silence.

2. I left the house once to pick up a few things at Yoke's. It turns out, though, that I had everything I needed to fix myself dinner. A good way to use up vegetables in the refrigerator is to make a vegetable curry. There was a partially used red onion, a partially used yellow onion, and a few celery stalks in the fridge, so I chopped them up and cooked them in oil. Right now I have a bumper crop of baby carrots, but I decided against using them tonight -- same with the miniature sweet peppers. I'll make a soup in the blender with those soon.

Once the onion and celery were tender, I pushed them aside and heated up a couple of tablespoons of yellow curry paste and then added two cans of coconut milk and two tablespoons each of fish sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. I spied a lime in a bowl on the kitchen table and I added its juice to the curry. Lastly, I chopped and added all the broccoli I had on hand, covered the Dutch oven, and let the mixture come to a boil -- in fact, it came to a harder boil than I wanted, but I caught it pretty early in its vigor. I removed the lid and turned the eat on low and let the broccoli cook and soften in the curry sauce and, before long, fixed a pot of rice. My curry today was a solid combination of heat, salty, sweet, and acidic. When I can experience all four of those sensations in a curry sauce I've made, I'm very happy.

The entire time I was visiting the top of Idaho and wandering around the Crawford Bay area in British Columbia, I yearned for some curry back home. My meal today was a perfect transition out of eating cafe and pub food and getting back to what I enjoy most: cooking and eating meals prepared at home -- mine, Christy's, Carol's, anyone's.

3. I don't know if my big toe will every look normal again. Over a week ago, the P.A. told me that the nail would come off, but, so far, it's still securely attached and as black and blue and red as ever. It doesn't hurt. The toe's redness and swelling have come down. I treat it three times a day with antibiotic cream. It's a very good thing that this injury isn't keeping me from doing anything -- well, I will continue to monitor the toe when I hike, and, if it seems to be acting up, cut any hike short. On Monday, this injury will be a month old, but everything I've read -- and the P.A. confirmed it -- says that injured toenails recover slowly.

No comments: