Sunday, March 14, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 03-13-2021: Cooking Away, Basketball Memories, Cat Comfort

1. Sunday is Zoom Day and I'm in charge of the main meal for family dinner. I got it all prepared today. I started making this particular chicken stew when we lived in Maryland and it was fun to do it again. It involves cooking a whole chicken on the stovetop so, today, the house smelled really good while the chicken was cooking and got even better as I slow cooked the other ingredients, let the chicken cool off, and took the meat off the chicken's bones and finished putting the stew together.  I put the carcass in the crock pot with onions, celery, greens, and some seasoning and now a new batch of chicken stock is bubbling away -- more great smells. It was a very good day in the kitchen and I'm happy to have dinner for Sunday all ready to go. 

2. Today was another day full of college basketball. Late in the afternoon, I flipped on the Big Sky Conference tournament final between Eastern Washington and Montana State. EWU features two Shadle Park grads, the Tanner brothers, Lucas and Jacob. I had fun remembering when Byrdman, Stu, Lars, and I went to Spokane a few years ago and watched Shadle Park host the Kellogg Wildcats. Jacob Groves was a gangly freshman then. Tanner Groves had graduated. The next season, Shadle came to Kellogg. I saw Jacob play again. 

So, the other day, someone asked me if I'd ever seen any kids play in high school who then went on the play in any NCAA national tournaments. The only one I could think of was Charlie Sitton. I saw him play for McMinnville against Churchill at Mac Court with Roger P. in December of 1979.  Sitton went on to play for Oregon State in the early 1980s and he played in three Big Dances. 

Since Eastern Washington won today and qualified for the national tournament, Jacob Groves will be the second participant I saw play in high school. 

I sigh a bit. Had I been more adventurous in Maryland and gone to high school games, say, at DeMatha High in Hyattsville, I would have seen a bunch of future NCAA Tournament players compete in high school.

Obviously, my high school basketball viewing history is pretty limited!

3. Luna and Copper are enjoying the late winter sunshine in Kellogg. They find spots in the living room where they can sleep, spots where the sun shines upon them directly. Luna's infection seems to be cleared up. She's not making trips to the litter box frequently. Luna and Copper both enjoy joining me in bed at night. Copper makes his only physical contact with me during the night, pressing against my legs, below my knees. Luna sleeps right next to me, pressing against my upper torso and, as of late, at some point she paws me lightly on the face, her signal that she's ready to burrow under the covers where she spends much of the night. She seems to want to spend morning under the covers, too, after I get up. I take no pleasure in lifting her out of the bed, but, she must get her morning dose of antibiotics and her insulin shot on schedule -- so, I interrupt her peaceful morning rest. 

No comments: