Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 03/23/2021: Good News at the Vet, House Cleaning, Tree House and Martini and More

 1. First thing this morning, I took Luna and Copper to the vet. Copper stuck around for a dental cleaning that went very well and he returned home in good spirits, demonstrating none of the after effects that can happen after being sedated and having the vet poke around in his mouth.

Luna was in for a quick blood glucose test and and a urinalysis. Her glucose number was stunningly good and Dr. Cook told me to not give her insulin for two days and bring her back in on Thursday morning for another glucose reading and see how things look. The urinalysis reading was also very good -- no infection, no glucose. We'll see on Thursday if her glucose numbers remain good and if they do, Luna will have another break from insulin shots. Then I'll bring her back in two weeks and see how things look then.

It was a good day for Copper and Luna (and for me, I guess).

2. I took a break from college basketball games today and focused on some housecleaning and laundry. Things had gotten a little ratty around the house and I vacuumed, swept, changed my bed sheets, and got some other things spiffed up. Honestly, though, this house cleaning never really gets done, but it was satisfying to make some progress.

3. Bill Davie took last Tuesday off and returned tonight for Tree House concert #45. I think the week off refreshed Bill's energy and gave him a chance to relax. His energy when he performs is always good and he seemed particularly jazzed tonight. The many people who tuned in tonight were grateful that Bill was back and expressed support for his need to slow things down a bit and take a brief sabbatical. 

I especially enjoyed tonight's poetry break. Documentary film maker Haydn Reiss recently introduced Bill to Tony Hoagland and Bill read about half a dozen poems from Hoagland's last book, Priest Turned Therapist Treats Fear of God. I relished Hoagland's long lines, so full, and the many surprising and often profound turns that happened within his poems. 

I enhanced the enjoyment of this evening's concerts by mixing a couple of dry gin martinis up and stirred. I hadn't drunk a martini in over a month and both of them were very satisfying. During the concert, I let a combination of diced tomatoes, butter, and half a white onion simmer on the stove top. When Bill wrapped things up, I boiled some penne pasta and poured the sauce I made over it. If I'd had a little red wine on hand, this would have been a perfect meal -- but imperfect can be really good, too, and his bowl of food was, in fact, really good. 

No comments: