Friday, March 12, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 03-11-2021: Concrete Done, Basketball Pandemonium, Morning Dew IPA

 1. The plumber came for about an hour today, mixed concrete in a bucket in the front yard, packed several of these buckets to the basement, and filled in the opening he made yesterday and smoothed it over. On Friday, he'll drop by for a second or two and replace the furnace filter and the job will be finished.

2. I'm not going to review all the basketball games I watched, or kept an eye on today, but it was a day filled with raucous pandemonium. I saw buzzer beaters, blow outs, players perform calmly under pressure, intense effort, and superior play throughout the day. I was especially happy the Ducks beat Arizona State, but I couldn't watch it. I'll listen to their next game with the Beavers online. I enjoyed watching Maryland defeat Michigan State, but am not very hopeful that they can do the same against Michigan. I'll also mention that I was very happy for the Georgetown Hoyas. They nipped Villanova by a point and it was moving to me that a freshman from Anacostia, Dante Harris, calmly converted the two free throws at the end of the game that provided the margin of victory. I had a great time yakkin' on the text machine much of the day with Byrdman and Terry Turner, exchanging piercing insights and a ton of wise cracks. 

3. I've mentioned before that I enjoy drinking craft beer the most when I'm with other people. I rarely drink craft beer here at home when I'm by myself. This afternoon, though, I suddenly wanted to enjoy my 22 oz bottle of Morning Dew IPA, a collaborative effort between Breakside Brewery of Portland, OR and Fat Head's Brewery of Cleveland, OH. I sipped on this one bottle of beer for much of the afternoon. It's a tropical tasting beer and I enjoyed the mango and pineapple flavors and the mild euphoria its 7.1 ABV gave me. It's a pleasant way to drink a beer -- pour out a few ounces, put a stopper in the bottle, return it to the fridge, sip, wait, pour out some more, and repeat this over about three hours. I sure look forward to being back in tap rooms and tasting rooms again. I liked having the sensation again that beer is good. 

No comments: