Thursday, March 4, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 03-03-2021: (Appeal Again) Vaccination, Fish Chowder, Ducks Defeat UCLA

* The Lilyblad family has $4,000 as its goal and are over halfway there in raising funds for Ken's memorial service. If you feel moved to add a donation, here's the link to the family's GoFundMe page:  https://gofund.me/ed61f871.

1. I leapt in the Sube and raced uptown to Heritage Health and didn't even have to get out of my car to receive my second Covid vaccination. I'm happy to write that, so far, no ill effects.

2. I picked up a few things at Yoke's today, including a couple of packages of fresh clams. When I returned home, I made a double batch of creamy fish chowder that included shrimp, clams, and chopped up salmon patties and used the crab stock I made from the Elks take out crab feed shells I got from Ed, Nancy, Jake, and Carol Lee. I loved the chowder, although I wonder if it might be too peppery for others who don't do well with peppery food. I froze two quarts and have another quart in the fridge ready to eat over the next few days.

3. It was sure fun watching the Ducks' men's basketball team play UCLA tonight in a game that would vault the Ducks into first place in the conference if they were to win it. Well, the Ducks did win this game, 82-74 and I enjoyed two factors in the Ducks' performance a lot. First, the Ducks' three senior starters, Chris Duarte, Eugene Omoruyi, and L. J. Figueroa, made great plays at key times throughout the game, whether making steals on defense, scoring key baskets on offense, blocking shots, or drawing fouls. Even more, I was-come-out-of-my-chair-in-joy thrilled to watch the continued emergence of Will Richardson. He made a couple of shots late in this game that made me think his pre-injury confidence is returning and that this Ducks' team is reaching the point where they have four very reliable options on offense. Tonight, the fifth guy, Eric Williams, started the game shooting really well, a significant boost to the Ducks, and if the Ducks also get some points out of other supporting players, they will be really tough to beat.

Oregon closes out their season on Sunday in Corvallis against OSU, a team that defeated them early in the year and has been playing well, winning four of their last four games. 

The Oregon women's basketball team plays Oregon State on March 4. It's Day 2 of the Pac 12 Conference Tournament  and if I had the Pac 12 Network, I'd be glued to that game.  I will, however, listen to it online. 

No comments: