Thursday, March 25, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 03/24/2021: Dinner Bread, Ducks Defeat Georgia, Adding Zip to My Stew

 1. Carol is fixing an Italian dinner on Sunday for family dinner and I volunteered to bring bread, fix a cocktail, and bring wine. I'm not sure the kind of bread I want to bring is available in Kellogg. I planned on going to CdA to buy a loaf, but suddenly wondered if Blackboard Market in Wallace might sell loaves of something like Italian bread. 

Well.

It turns out Christy's book group is meeting at Blackboard Market on Thursday and she volunteered to check out their bread and buy a loaf that at least comes close to what Carol requested for dinner. I'll freeze it and thaw it in time for dinner.

2. Led by Sedona Prince and Nyara Sabally inside and by inexperienced Maddie Scher's remarkably steady play at the point (in the absence of injured players Tehina Pao-Pao, Jaz Shelley, and Taylor Chavez), the Ducks defeated Georgia, 57-50. I got to watch the second half and enjoyed it a lot.  I agree with Rebecca Lobo. In the time between being eliminated from the Pac-12 tournament and the beginning of the NCAA Tournament, the Ducks found a cohesion and developed a toughness I hadn't seen previously in this team, especially late in the season. It's a young team with a lot of new players and their season has been fragmented by injuries and Covid pauses, but in their victories over South Dakota and Georgia, they looked like a much stronger team. They played tough defense and did great work on offense getting the ball to the right players, especially to Prince and Sabally. 

I don't know if Sedona Prince has ever watched footage of Jack Sikma, but watching her shoot her feathery fade away jump shot along the baseline reminded me of Sikma's signature shot. I really enjoyed Sedona Prince's perfection of this shot, whether Jack Sikma had anything to do with it or not. 

3. I warmed up my remaining leftover chicken stew that I had frozen and thawed and decided to make it a little richer by breaking an egg into it as it heated up on the stove and I spiced it up a little with some red pepper flakes. It was a simple and tasty meal and made me think that I will break eggs into my soups and stews more often. 

No comments: