Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 01-03-2023: Preparing for Medical Appointments, Wah Hing Take Out, Arson and Our 1995 Divorce

 1. That time is nearing when I have blood work done, have an annual well-being check up, see the nephrologist, and check in with the transplant coordinator at Providence Sacred Heart. I'm pretty well set up for all of this after I made some phone calls today. 

2. When Debbie returned home she suggested we order out from Wah Hing. I blasted uptown and picked up Sesame Chicken, Seafood Lo Mein, and an order of potstickers. I was especially happy when Debbie declared that this food hit the spot for her!

3. I listened to the final installments of Leah Sottile's podcast Burn Wild. The entire podcast ended with the sentencing hearing of arsonist Joseph Dibee who had been a fugitive since 2005 and was captured in Cuba in 2018. It took until November of 2022 for his sentencing hearing to take place.

Because so much of what's discussed in Burn Wild occurred in Eugene, I've been on the alert for the mention of places I've been or for the mention of people I might have been acquainted with.

A meaningless connection surfaced in the podcast's last episode.

Joseph Bibee went before U.S. District Court Judge Ann Aiken for his sentencing.

I, too, once went before Judge Aiken.

It was November, 1995.

I handed Oregon Circuit Judge Ann Aiken the signed papers outlining the divorce agreement my second wife and I had reached.

With her signature, she finalized the dissolution of our marriage. 


No comments: