Thursday, January 12, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 01-11-2023: Medicare Wellness Visit, Kidney Appointment, Stir Fried Noodles at Pho Thanh

1. I leapt in the Sube and roared uptown to the clinic around 9:40 for my 10:00 Medicare annual wellness check up. I figured it would include fasting blood work, so all I did was drink seltzer water before blasting up. 

I handed P.A. Smyly a copy of the blood work results that Labcorp's benevolent sugar-winged angels dropped lovingly into my gmail inbox on Sunday and as he scanned them he recoiled.

"Your eGFR is 15?" 

He asked this with astonishment. 

Here I was, seated before him, looking to be in good health but this number on my blood work results is very low -- Stage V kidney disease, or kidney failure, begins, according to standard charts, with an eGFR of 14. (My eGFR has come in below 14 at least a couple of times.)

I replied that, yes, my eGFR has ranged between 12 or 13 and about 18 for the last few years, but that even with such limited function, my kidneys have been and continue to do their job. 

He could see that in my blood work report. For every category showing how much sodium, chloride, and other substances are in my blood, my numbers were within range, thanks to the apparently indefatigable work my compromised kidneys are doing.

I told P.A. Smyly that I would be seeing Dr. Bieber, my nephrologist, later in the day and that it's just this dichotomy that we would discuss: my kidney function is low, but my kidneys' performance is solid. 

2. So, indeed, I had a more blood drawn at the uptown clinic to get a look at how my cholesterol levels are and to make sure my prostate looks healthy. 

I bopped out of the clinic, bounced into the Sube, and instead of rocketing straight home, I stopped in at The Beanery for a scone and a cup of half Americano, half steamed milk. I then checked in at home and  vaulted into the Sube and roared over the hump to Coeur d'Alene and met with Dr. Bieber.

Dr. Bieber asked me a few questions about my blood pressure, skin, how I was feeling (I told him great!), etc. and he listened to my lungs and heart and liked what he heard.

When we talked about my blood work results, Dr. Bieber reiterated what he's said before. The fact that my kidneys are performing the way they are with such reduced function and that I feel so good is, in his word, awesome.

He reiterated that three years ago he figured, for sure, I'd be on dialysis by now, if not transplanted. He has no explanation for why my kidneys are so stable and effective. 

His assessment: let's ride this thing out and see how long your kidneys are going to stay stable. Let's hope it's a long time. 

I will have blood work done in three months. I see Dr. Bieber again in six months, with an understanding between us that if my blood pressure starts going up or if I begin to experience symptoms that I will return to see him earlier. 

3. I was hungry when I left Dr. Bieber's office. All I'd eaten was a scone. I reached the Sube in the parking lot around 2:15 or so. My goal was to drive back to Kellogg in daylight. If I stopped somewhere for a quick lunch, I would have time to reach Kellogg easily before dark.

So, I streaked over to Pho Thanh for a plate of stir fried noodles: Chow Mein with lemongrass chili beef, chicken, shrimp, and pork accompanied by a can of Pepsi.

The noodles hit the spot and I returned to Kellogg nourished, happy that I completed my day of appointments, and relieved that for at least three more months I can move forward feeling at peace about the fact that, for now, my renal health is stable and that my energy and mental health are also in good shape. 



No comments: