Friday, January 20, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 01-19-2023: Jumping on Our Taxes, Party Time with Kandinsky and TV Shows, Diane Gave us Creamy Lemon Butter Chicken

 1. For years, especially when I was working, I was terrible about procrastinating during tax season and often didn't get my returns filed until months after the April deadline. This is no longer true. Now, as soon as some tax record arrives in the mail, I enter the data immediately and today I went one step further and looked up my Oregon state pension tax record before it came in the mail and entered that information. I'm still waiting for a few more records to arrive. I'm hoping to have our taxes filed before the end of the month and, however they come out, it'll be a relief to have that task completed.

2. Debbie arrived home from work feeling better than she has all week. Friday is a grading day for teachers, so she'll be on site at Pinehurst Elementary School, but her students will stay home. So, even though she'll be working, it won't be as demanding and, with things slowing down a bit, it'll be a chance for Debbie to have a more restful Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I hope she'll fully recover from this virus that began its visit early in the week.

Debbie and I had a restful and fun evening. We began our party by mixing cocktails: Debbie was drinking George Dickel Rye Whiskey with fresh squeezed orange juice and I used Minute Maid orange juice out of the carton and mixed it with gin.

We continued our party by listening to another episode of the podcast The Lonely Palette. A few months ago, Debbie introduced her students to paintings by Wassily Kandinsky and we listened to Episode 38, focused on his painting known as "Untitled" (1922).  As she does so reliably, with good humor, encyclopedic knowledge, and great insight, Tamar Avishi brought to life the Bauhaus movement and German Expressionism and placed Kandinsky's work within this context. 

We then turned to some less demanding entertainment and watched Jack Cassidy in one of his guest star turns on Columbo, an episode in which he rids himself of a writer played my Mickey Spillane. Cassidy's portrayal of an egotistical, condescending book publisher was superb as was Lt. Columbo's dogged detective work that succeeded in nailing Cassidy's character.

We also watched a Beethoven-themed episode of Perry Mason. As always, it looked like Perry Mason's client could never escape the charges she faced in court, but Perry Mason saw through a few things and worked out exactly who was responsible for the murder of a classic piano performer and teacher. 

3. Tonight I dove into the meal Diane so generously brought to our house Wednesday night. 

Diane fixed Creamy Lemon Butter Chicken, a beautifully prepared chicken cutlet accompanied by Israeli couscous and sliced zucchini disks, all brightened with lemon and seasoned with just the right amount of Tuscan Heat Spice. 

I enjoyed the chicken and zucchini a lot and I really loved the Israeli couscous, one of my very favorite foods of all time! 

No comments: