Monday, January 9, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 01-08-2023: Lots to Talk About!, Blood Work Looks Okay, Art History Podcast

 1. Bill, Diane, and I jumped on the ZOOM machine and yakked away for about three hours, despite a brief interruption when Bill and Diane's internet briefly crapped out.

We covered a lot of territory: movies, family dynamics, kidney disease, other health and medical topics, the podcasts Debbie and I have been listening to, a video Bill created focused on Jim Page, and more. We rocketed back in time, too. Bill's friend Wes shot 16mm footage of the cast of a play Bill was in back in high school and we looked at highlights from it. It was awesome! 

Quite an afternoon.

2. Just before this ZOOM session, the results of my latest blood work came parachuting into my email inbox. I took a deep breath before looking at them. I was determined to expect the best. 

I was relieved as I read my numbers. No huge changes. I am going to study a few of the numbers more fully, but the ones Dr. Bieber and I discuss the most are much the same as they have been over the last couple of years.

3. Tonight, Debbie and I shifted gears in our podcast listening and played three episodes of a superb podcast I discovered when we lived in Maryland. It's called The Lonely Palette and features its host, Tamar Avishai, providing superb commentary on a single work of art each episode. 

Tonight we enjoyed Tamar Avishai's readings of George Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on La Grande Jatte, Jackson Pollock's Number 10, 1949, and Piet Mondrian's Composition with Red, Yellow, and Blue.

We both loved learning more about Seraut's technique which, looking back, art critics called pointillism, about abstract expressionism, and about abstraction itself. I definitely came away from these episodes with a deeper understanding of these painters' artistic purpose and the more philosophical dimensions of their work. 

If you'd like to check out The Lonely Palette, a good place to start is right here.

No comments: