Monday, January 16, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 01-15-2023: A Milder Virus, A Controversial Book, Perry Mason Tested to the Max

1. The good news is that when I started sneezing and coughing and feeling a bit achy Saturday night and on into today, everything was much milder than it was back in November/December. I helped myself a lot by taking two naps this afternoon with nurse Luna attached to my chest, comforting me. 

2. Today I finished listening to our Audible version of Mosha Gessen's 2020 book, Surviving Autocracy. I'll just say that I found the book illuminating. It's the kind of book I decided long ago that I wouldn't discuss online or write about in any detail in my 3BTs blog posts. Gessen's work is controversial and I am almost always dissatisfied with discussions of controversial material online. If you'd like to know more about Mosha Gessen or more about Gessen's writings, Gessen is prolific and easy to learn more about online. 

3. Debbie had returned home from a visit with Christy just as Gessen's book reached its end. It concluded and we agreed that an episode of Perry Mason would provide a change of pace. In the episode we watched tonight, Perry had to sort out the fact that when an 18 year old heiress's mother died, two men came forward, each claiming to be the long estranged father of the the heiress. Add to this confusion the fact that someone murdered Trudi's elderly cousin and I'd say the complexities of this situation tested Perry Mason's skills to the max. Perry, with the help of Della and Paul, was up to the task. 

No comments: