Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 01-09-2023: Dump Trip, Lemon/Garlic Potatoes, Christy's Prime Rib Birthday Dinner

 1. Today the roads were free of snow and ice, making my trip to the Transfer Station easy. I loaded up the cardboard that we accumulated the last few days and the bags of packing styrofoam and it was a relief to my sense of well-being to leave them at the dump.

2. I spent time this afternoon preparing a simple dish for tonight's dinner in celebration of Christy's birthday. Dinner director Carol assigned me a potato dish and I wanted to make it as light as possible, a dish without much cheese, without sour cream or other dairy products. 

I found a recipe for lemon/garlic potatoes. I bought a small bag of red potatoes and cut them in half. I covered them with water and brought them to a boil and then let them cook slowly at a reduced heat. Once tender, I drained them and decided to cut the halves into smaller pieces. In a puddle of olive oil, I browned the potato pieces. I added three cloves of minced garlic to them once browned, let them cook for another minute, and then added lemon juice, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. 

That was it.

Simple.

Light.

Delicious.

3. I also mixed a batch of Old-Fashioneds, subbing fresh squeezed orange juice for simple syrup. When Debbie and I arrived at Carol and Paul's, I poured everyone a cocktail which we enjoyed while yakkin' in the living room and snacking on mixed nuts.

Carol, Paul, and Molly presented Christy with gifts. Our gift to Christy was in her email box. 

After a while, we made our way to the dining table. Carol roasted a prime rib and made a delicious Yorkshire pudding, cut into squares. Paul prepared and dressed a green salad. Molly provided three kinds of horseradish. I fixed the potatoes. Carol and Paul set out a couple bottles of wine, one red, one white, and we were unanimous in our praise and enjoyment of this splendid meal. 

We capped off dinner with the dessert Christy requested:  Esther's Orange Marmalade Cake, inspired by Jan Karon's beloved Mitford series, centered on Father Tim Kavanagh, the rector of Mitford's Chapel of Our Lord and Savior Episcopal church. I heard tonight from Christy that Father Tim loved Esther's Orange Marmalade Cake.  So does Christy! 

Carol did a great job making the cake airy and light and very delicious. Most important, Christy enjoyed her birthday cake to the max!

No comments: