Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 01-10-2023: Birthday Dinner Redux (Sort of), The Formidable Perry Mason Team, *Barney Miller* Nightcap

 1. We had just enough baby Yukon potatoes for me to make one more mess of the lemon garlic potatoes I made Monday for Christy's birthday party. I leaned into the garlic and lemon a little harder -- glad I did -- and thought we might eat them with salmon patties. Debbie, however, wanted to finish off the leftover prime rib slices from Monday night. Great idea! 

2. I can't recite the plots of the three episodes of Perry Mason we watched tonight, largely to help Debbie wind down and relax after work. I can say this: Perry is indefatigable, Paul Drake is ready to jump into action at any given moment, and Della Street is never rattled by the discovery of a victim of murder. Combine Della's fortitude with Paul's dogged availability and Perry's fearlessness and it's no wonder he's undefeated.

3. Debbie turned in before I did and I decided to jump ahead about fifteen years, give or take, and watch a few episodes of Barney Miller. Like Taxi, like Soap, like Cheers, like WKRP in Cincinnati, and like a bunch of other shows, Barney Miller demonstrated week after week that once a situation comedy built around an ensemble of terrific actors and brought to life by excellent writers hits its stride, it's scintillating and highly enjoyable television entertainment. 

No comments: