Thursday, August 10, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 08-09-2023: I Fell Today, Copper Needed Special Attention, Dinner Was Already Prepared BONUS: A Limerick by Stu

1. As I grow older and gradually less steady on my feet, I am mindful almost all the time of my immediate environment and am on the lookout for any number of things that might cause me to fall. 

This morning, I wasn't mindful.

I fell.

Gibbs was in the back yard barking and I thought he'd barked enough so I took a rawhide chew out into the yard, hoping he'd want to come in the house and enjoy it.

My focus was on Gibbs. 

My mind wandered away from what might cause me to trip and fall.

Sure enough, as I turned to head back up the back porch, I forgot that last summer we raised the landing on the bottom of the porch. Now it's a small step up from the yard to the landing and onto the porch.

I tripped over the landing and fell forward, lightly scraping a knee and an elbow, but I also pulled muscles in my upper left leg. 

I spent much of the day treating my leg with ice packs. I managed to do the dishes, change the bed sheets, carry Copper upstairs from his hideout in the basement, and do other little jobs around the house, but I hobbled. 

All because my mind wandered from watching where I was going.

Yes, my leg is sore, but the good news is that I didn't hit my head on anything, I had little trouble getting back on my feet, and I got through the day all right. I hope my leg returns to normal in the next few days.

2. Normally, when Debbie is home, she and Gibbs sleep upstairs and Copper and Luna join me in in the bedroom for the night.

To keep Gibbs calm, when Debbie's gone, I bring him into the bedroom to sleep with me.

I put Copper and Luna in the Vizio room where they have comfortable places to lie down, where their food and water are available, and where they have a litter box.

This arrangement stresses out Copper. 

Today, after I carried him up from the basement, I put him in the bedroom, right where he wanted to be, and decided not to include Luna. 

I lay down with him and was this ever just what he wanted.

He pressed close to me, a rare occurrence. I petted him, he purred, and, for the first time ever, he kneaded my arms, and moved even closer to me. 

Then, as if he'd been awake all night, Copper fell into a deep relaxed sleep. 

I worked the Wednesday NYTimes crossword puzzle and marveled at how much Copper needed this time on the bed with me,  alone. 

3. When I prepared the baked beans I contributed to family dinner on Tuesday, I also opened one of our HelloFresh bags and made two zucchini flatbreads with lemon ricotta cheese, grape tomatoes, honey, and chili flakes. 

I was very happy today that I'd made this food ahead of time. It was much easier on me and on my sore leg not to have to cook a meal tonight, to have food prepared and ready to eat. 

Here's a limerick by Stu


Was a song, sung by Nat, and a hit.
Summer time, talked of beer and it fit!
Can seem a bit hazy,
Talking days that are crazy.
Kicking back doesn't hurt you a bit.

National Lazy Day

No comments: