Monday, August 21, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 08-20-2023: I Didn't Get Arrested, Making Asian Slaw, Family Betrothal Dinner

 1. So, my wandering mind went wandering again today. I don't know to what ends of the earth it shuffled off to, but when I bought groceries today at Yoke's, I picked my goods up off the checker's stand and meandered out to the Camry and completely blanked out on entering my PIN number into the debit card machine. The checker sent another employee out to the parking lot to find me and, luckily, I looked up when I heard a voice calling from about thirty feet away, "Sir! Sir! You forgot to punch in your PIN number!" I slinked (perp walked) back into the store, completed the transaction, and thanked the checker for not having me arrested.

2. I managed to rein in my wandering mind long enough this afternoon to combine chopped red cabbage, shredded green cabbage, grated carrot, and chopped green onion into a bowl. For a dressing, I combined sesame oil, olive oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, minced ginger, minced garlic, and rice vinegar and shook them up. Before applying the dressing, I chopped walnuts, put them in the salad and, after I dressed the salad, I topped in with toasted sesame seeds.  I then brought this Asian Slaw to family dinner. 

3. Late last week, Cosette and Taylor began to get the word out that they are now engaged and beginning to plan a wedding. Tonight's family dinner celebrated their news. 

We started with one of the blended mojitos Carol whipped up and enjoyed baguette slices with roasted red pepper bruschetta for an appetizer. Paul and Carol collaborated on making sausage with garden fresh vegetables in a foil packet and Paul grilled them. The Asian slaw I brought was a side. Christy made a light limoncello shortcake icebox cake with fresh raspberries for dessert. We raised a toast to Taylor and Cosette, wishing them the very best. 

Conversation veered all over the place: What are Cosette and Taylor's plans for a wedding ceremony? A reception? Is everyone happy that basketball players no longer wear short shorts on the court? What's the future of pandas? Will Christy take in a second dog? (Her answer is NO!) Was Yacht Rock appropriate betrothal music? Why didn't we listen, instead, to Flogging Molly in advance of their August 22nd concert at Spokane's Knitting Factory? Ha!

No comments: