Friday, August 4, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 08-03-2023: The Birth of Hip-Hop (in Part), Cats and the Thursday Crossword, Back to HelloFresh

1. I finished watching Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap. I keep thinking about what one of the rappers said. I'm not sure exactly what period of time he was referring to -- 1970s? 80s? -- but he explained that hip-hop started, in part, because of music being eliminated in the NY City public schools. No more horns in the schools. No more keyboards. But, the young people had lp records, turntables, and their own words. Inspired by the desire to tell their truths, their voices and words became their instruments.  This was, in part, how hip-hop was born. It's not the whole story, but this part of the story speaks to the longing to create, to make music, to express one's truths, and hip-hop was definitely born out of the desire for self and cultural expression. The entire documentary reiterates this fact multiple times. 

2. It always takes me longer on Thursdays to complete the daily NYTimes Crossword Puzzle. Thursday is, to me, funky day. The Thursday puzzle almost always has a funky twist to it, an unusual theme, and once again today, I completed the puzzle, but I didn't figure out the theme until I read the NYTimes review of the puzzle (every NYTimes Crossword is accompanied online by a review article). 

I bring this up because once I knew this puzzle would be time consuming, I decided to spend my puzzle time with Luna and Copper on the bed. I assumed the prone position on my back, Luna immediately sprang onto my chest,  and Copper got close enough to me that I could pet him. Both cats went into deep relaxation. I had to do some low key acrobatics to accommodate Luna on my chest and to be able to type words into the puzzle. 

I succeeded. 

All three of us were happy. I didn't join Copper and Luna's chorus of purring, but if I were a purring being, I would have.

3. Going out to Radio for dinner on Wednesday interrupted my HelloFresh schedule (no problem), but I got back on it today! 

All I had to do was oil and toast a couple flatbreads in the oven, chop Brussel sprouts into small pieces and cook them in oil, and make a spread combining Ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning, lemon juice, and olive oil. When the flatbreads were toasted, I topped them with the Ricotta lemon spread, put the Brussel sprout pieces on the spread, and topped it all with grated cheese. I popped the flatbreads back into the oven, let them bake until the cheese melted, took them out, and drizzled them with hot honey.  

I cut one of the flatbreads in quarters for my dinner tonight and wrapped the other in foil to enjoy on Friday. 



No comments: