Friday, August 25, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 08-24-2023: Debbie Is Back Home, The Marvel of the Young Becoming Adults, Copper and Luna Roamed This Evening

1. Debbie's trip out to Newark was a dumpster fire of delays, but her flight back to Spokane from Reagan International went smoothly. Everything was on time. 

I picked her up and right away Debbie started telling me about the fantastic trip she had, the time she got to spend with Adrienne's family and Molly's. She told me about art, the theater, our grandchildren, and a lot more.  

2. We continued and deepened our discussion of Debbie's time away by going over to The Beanery for a wood-fired flatbread dinner. I marveled, as Debbie told me about things, how Molly, Patrick, and Adrienne have not only grown into adults who are doing well, but have developed independent minds, all following different lights, lights of their own choosing. 

I will always think that the best thing Debbie and I did was provide a safe and reliable home that Molly, Patrick, and Adrienne could always return to, or live in if need be, and that as far as developing the vision and values by which they live, the best we could do was encourage them to go their own way and support them. It's a marvel to me how Molly, Adrienne, and Patrick have taken charge of their worldviews and the conduct of their lives, independent of Debbie and me, and I feel the same marvel about Carol and Paul's daughters.  

Have my feelings of marvel included bewilderment, discomfort, some anxiety, and disagreement? 

For sure. 

To quote Omar Little: "It's all in the game."

3.  Debbie's return home is a boon for Copper and Luna. Debbie is still on Eastern Standard Time and went upstairs to bed at around 7 o'clock WITH GIBBS. 

With Gibbs absent from the living room and kitchen, Luna and Copper, for the first time in a month, could roam, be near me in the living room, and relax outside the bedroom and Vizio room.

Then, when I decided to turn in, Luna and Copper joined me -- again, for the first time in a month. 

Both cats purred, reacquainted themselves with the geography of the bed with me in it, and enjoyed our return to our nightly routine.

I had a great time while Debbie was gone taking care of Gibbs, Copper, and Luna.

Now I'm very happy that Debbie is back, not only so we can yak and do things together, but also because when she's upstairs with Gibbs, the world of our house becomes larger and more relaxing for Luna and Copper. 

No comments: