Thursday, August 31, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 08-30-2023: Kitchen Changes, Tasty Pasta Dinner, Transplant Update

1. Debbie and I agreed to purchase new cookware, a new blender/food processor, new mixing bowls, new knives, a new knife sharpener, and a few other odds and ends for the kitchen. I spent a lot of time today reading about cooking with and taking care of stainless steel cookware and about how to use our blender/food processor. Next tasks: fill the sink with warm soapy water and wash the new cookware and knives (when they arrive) and figure out what stays upstairs in our little kitchen and where to put it and what goes in the basement, the extension of our kitchen.

2. I used our tried and true cookware this evening to prepare our HelloFresh meal called Penne Rustica with a Kick. While I boiled a batch of penne, I browned panko bread crumbs and sliced almonds,  trimmed and cut asparagus spears into inch-long lengths, diced a tomato, and chopped a couple or three green onions. I cooked the asparagus in olive oil until the spears were an almost neon green and then added the tomatoes. I drained the penne, and added it to the asparagus and tomatoes, once the tomatoes softened, along with garlic herb butter, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, and pasta water. 

After combining all these ingredients and cooking them for a couple minutes, I divided the food between two bowls and topped the dish with green onion pieces, red chili flakes, roasted panko and almonds, and some more Parmesan cheese. 

It worked! 

3. Kidney transplant update: Debbie and I have an appointment on Thursday, Oct. 5 at the transplant center. We decided the other day, for a variety of reasons, that I would tell the program that I'd like to return to inactive status until after this meeting and after I go to Pendleton the following week. I'll return to active status on Oct. 15th and I don't see going inactive again unless I haven't had the transplant by the time Cosette and Taylor's wedding arrives. I'm not 100 percent positive what their wedding date is, but it's possible it'll be in February.  

No comments: