Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 03-11-2024: Driving Home from Seattle, (Re)Listening to *Songlines*, Simple Salmon Dinner

1. As far as having my things gathered, I was ready to bolt out the door about an hour before I actually left the Grove West Seattle Inn, but I didn't want to drive in the dark, so I waited until daylight began to break. I knew I would experience some congestion merging onto I-5 and onto I-90, but I don't mind traffic congestion, especially because I wasn't under any time pressure at all. If it's going to be congested, all I ask is that all of us drivers behave ourselves. That happened. Drivers were patient, worked within the congestion, and so it wasn't at all stressful driving out of Seattle. 

I'd read that snow might begin to fall on Snoqualmie Pass around 11:00 a.m. I made sure to drive over the pass before the possible snow came. The roadway was clear of snow and ice. It was foggy, but I managed the limited visibility without any problems. 

2. Going to Seattle and coming back, I listened to approximately the second half of Bruce Chatwin's Songlines. It was a challenge to keep up with his book while driving, especially as he ruminated, with the help of copious numbers of sources he'd read, on such topics as human aggression, humans in relation to weaponry, different theories of species evolution, human restlessness, the significance of desert lands, and many other meanderings, all while telling the story of his experiences in the bushland of Australia. 

I've finished this book, but I'm not done with it. I'll be going back, rereading parts I listened to, sorting things out, and marveling at Chatwin's breadth of knowledge and interests and at his remarkable story telling ability.

3. I knew when I arrived home that Debbie had bought a salmon filet for us to split. I seasoned it with butter, rosemary, and butter and I combined yogurt, sour cream, garlic, and water to make a garlic sauce. 

I also cooked a pot of brown rice. I then sautéed a white onion, added frozen green beans and corn to the pan, and once those ingredients were ready to eat, I added brown rice and garlic to the mix.

The garlic sauce tasted great on the salmon and I also dressed my vegetable and rice side dish with it and enjoyed it a lot.  

No comments: