Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 03-18-2024: Remembering Mojo Nixon, Elizabeth Cotton and Shooter Jennings, Chickpea Burgers

1. I traveled down a different road today on the Sirius/XM app, a road I will return to often. I explored the Outlaw Country channel, beginning by going to the archives of Steve Earle's show, "Hardcore Troubadour" and listened to his show memorializing Mojo Nixon. Over the years, from time to time, I listened to Mojo Nixon's regular weekday show on Outlaw Country. His persona on air was wild and his music selections were always spot on. Mojo Nixon died on February 7, 2024. He was aboard the Outlaw Country Cruise, docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Steve Earle was also on that cruise. 

On this episode of his show, Earle talked at some length about Mojo Nixon's psychobilly rock career and departed from the kind of music he usually plays on his show and featured Mojo Nixon performing an array of his songs, including "Elvis is Everywhere", "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant with my Two-Headed Love Child", "Don Henley Must Die", and others. Steve Earle also paid reverent tribute to Mojo Nixon's presence as an Outlaw Country program host. For many listeners, Mojo Nixon was the heart and soul of this channel and his death left a void that will be filled, but Mojo Nixon's energy, passion, and love for Outlaw Country music will never be replicated. 

2. In the past, I've also listened to Elizabeth Cotton's show, "Apron Strings" and returned to it today while I huffed and puffed at the Fitness Center. I enjoy Elizabeth Cotton's enthusiasm and wry sense of humor and listening to her again was a pleasure. 

About, oh, let's say 18-19 years ago, I was fiddling around on Napster and somehow stumbled on Shooter Jennings' song, "4th of July" and it riveted me. It reinvigorated my interest and love for country rock music -- or outlaw country music. I'm grateful for this song. It triggered my pursuit of other artists in this genre. 

Well, Shooter Jennings also has a show on Outlaw Country, "Shooter Jennings' Electric Rodeo" and I spent much of the rest of the afternoon listening to one great song (many new to me) after another and now I have yet another radio program to call up, especially when I'm in the mood to listen to music that blends country and rock, great song writing with both acoustic and amplified instruments. 

3. I had fun tonight busting out a HelloFresh bag and cooking Curried Chickpea Burgers with Potato Wedges. The potato wedges were easy to bake and I departed from the recipe by seasoning them with Old Bay Seasoning. To make the burgers, I mashed a small box of chickpeas and added curry powder, chopped green onions, dill, tempura batter, and water and made patties that I fried. I also made a tangy sauce combining mayonnaise, vinegar, apricot jam, mustard, and turmeric from the bag and then, on my own, I added yogurt. I toasted and buttered the buns, put sauce on them, plopped the patty on, and topped it with a tomato slice. 

It was a somewhat messy burger, but tasted great! 

No comments: