Thursday, March 14, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 03-13-2024: Getting Stuff Done, Bach and *Copia*, Copper Is In Good Health!

1. I got down to business today and did laundry, paid bills, got my monthly blood draw at the hospital for the kidney transplant program, and, later in the afternoon than usual, worked out at the Fitness Center. 

2. While I worked out, I listened once again to Bach's Brandenburg Concertos and let all of its glorious, uplifting musical lines energize and uplift me. I thought a lot about the rhetorical trope copia, or plenty. When employed in writing, copier is a way at getting at the truth of an idea or the reality of things through unfolding its many dimensions, of exploring a subject in detail. Bach's compositions swim in copia as he explore themes, variations on those themes, and as he composes points and counterpoints in his music. It's what I love about Shakespeare. He was devoted to copia and creates ambiguity in his characters and ideas not by withholding detail but by exploring them in great detail, leading him so unfold contradictions, opposites existing side by side, and stimulating complexity.

3. For those of you on Copper watch, I have good news. Dr. Cook called me today and his blood work looked terrific. Dr. Cook recommends that I have Copper's teeth cleaned. He and I talked about the risks of Copper being under anesthesia and the doctor is confident the risks are minimal for Copper. It's a mystery why Copper meows (or to use Dr. Cook's term, vocalizes) overnight as much as he does. My hypothesis? Copper was once a stray cat and stray cats tend to be more active at night. Without Luna around to keep Copper company at night, I think he wants to be active. My guess is that he has a drive to be outdoors. I tried letting him go outdoors a couple of years ago, but I didn't like where he roamed to in our neighborhood so I keep him indoors. If only he would stay in our yard . . .  

No comments: