Monday, March 18, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 03-17-2024: Top 40 Songs of March 1968, Preparing Family Dinner, A Superb Discussion

1. Stu recommended that I tune into '60 Satellite Survey on the Sirius/XM app. Each week, the host, Dave Hoeffel, goes back to specific week in the 1960s and plays that week's Top 40 songs. So, Saturday night, I went to sleep listening to his show focused the week ending on March 16, 1968. 

If you'd like see this Top 40 list, just click right here

I finished listening to this episode while I burned calories at the Fitness Center.

I found this list's wide range of music styles remarkable as Dave Hoeffel guided his listeners through it. 

Artists as different from one another as Sly and the Family Stone, Roger Miller, Petula Clark, 1910 Fruit Gum Company, Otis Redding, and The Bee Gees helped comprise this Top 40 list and I listened to songs as widely different from each other as "Love is Blue", "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde", "Spooky', and "I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)".

I'll admit it. I was expecting a Top 40 list of March 1968 to include The Beatles, Steppenwolf, The Rolling Stones, and other groups I think of as epitomizing the music of the late 1960s. 

But, nope. During that week ending March 16, 1968 more people were buying The Mills Brothers, The Lettermen, Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart, the Delfonics, and others than the classic bands I expected to appear on this Top 40 list. 

2. Debbie and I hosted tonight's St. Patrick's Day family dinner. We had decided a while back not to serve corned beef and cabbage and eventually decided that I would made shepherd's pie. Yoke's doesn't carry ground lamb, so I used ground beef. The pie was simple to make. I started by boiling about three pounds of potatoes while also cooking up chopped onion, zucchini, carrots, celery, and garlic. When the onion was tender, I added the ground beef. Once the beef was browned, I added flour, ketchup, tomato paste, and beef boullion, and frozen corn kernels. I mashed the potatoes while the meat/vegetable mixture cooked down and thickened. After I sprayed oil on the inside of our cast iron dutch oven, I transferred the meat/vegetable mixture to it and topped it with the mashed potatoes and baked it for a half an hour. 

I didn't season this shepherd's pie. No salt. No pepper. No herbs. No spices. The natural flavor of the ground beef and vegetables and the addition of the tomato paste and ketchup, in my opinion, didn't need further enhancing. 

For an appetizer, I sliced Dubliner cheddar cheese, Debbie sliced a cosmic crisp apple, and we put out Carr's crackers. 

I served Emeralds for our cocktail, a blend of Jameson's Irish Whiskey, sweet vermouth, orange bitters, and lemon peel.

We capped off our dinner with Bailey's Irish Cream.

3. I am not at liberty to write about what Paul, Carol, Zoe, Molly, Christy, Debbie, and I spent a healthy portion of the evening discussing. I would, however, like to write for my own record of the evening that I thought it was a superb discussion, unquestionably one of the very best and most satisfying we've had over the last six to seven years of eating together as a family. 


No comments: