Friday, March 15, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 03-14-2024: "Jukebox Diner" at the Gym, Four Versions of "You're No Good", Delicious Italian Vegetable Soup

1. A couple of weeks ago, I finally downloaded the Sirius/XM app on my phone. This morning, Stu and I were chatting and he told me how much he enjoys listening to Lou Simon's show, "Jukebox Diner" and so today, at the rehab gym, I took a break from Bach and Iron Butterfly and horn bands and listened to about the first hour of Lou Simon's latest installment of this show. Lou Simon plays a wide range of pop music from the fifties forward, provides a lot of background information about performers, songs, and record albums, and he takes phone calls and also responds, on air, to emails and text messages. 

2. "Jukebox Diner" made my workout today even more fun. I continued listening to this episode when I returned home and especially enjoyed it when Lou Simon played four versions of the song, "You're No Good" -- he began with Betty Everett's version, then played the Swinging Blue Jeans cover, moved on to Linda Ronstad's most famous rendition, and wrapped it up with Van Halen's 1979 track (it kind of blew me away). 

Lou Simon's show reminded me a bit of a Grateful Dead call in show called, "Tales from the Golden Road". Both programs feature callers who are eager to share trivia, talk about experiences they've had listening to music live (especially true on "Golden Road"), and to ask the host questions. Like Lou Simon, the "Golden Road" hosts, David Gans and Gary Lambert are patient with the callers, often let them ramble on about stuff, and turn whatever they have to say into something positive. I don't know if Lou Simons ever does interviews, but Gans and Lambert do.

3. I popped open a HelloFresh bag for tonight's dinner and it turned out to be mighty delicious. We'd never had their One-Pot Italian Vegetable Soup before and it was simple to prepare and both tasty and comforting. It's a tomato based soup with onion, carrots, kale, and Israeli couscous, seasoned with a packet of Italian seasoning. It's a soup I could make without the HelloFresh bag. I just hope I can remember to do so some time. 

No comments: