Saturday, March 16, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 03-15-2024: Nearly Empty Fitness Center, Kierkegaard on the Value of Walking, Paninis for Dinner

1. Today the clouds and fog burned off and, by this afternoon, Kellogg enjoyed temperatures nearing sixty degrees. It started to feel a bit like spring outside.

For a short while today at the Fitness Center, I was the only person exercising. I had to chuckle at myself for not being outdoors. I rely on these cardio machines to tell me how many calories I've burned and how much time I've been on the machine. I enter this information into an app I use to track my calorie consumption, how many calories I burn, and how much time I spend exercising. At some point, I suppose, I'll get back to walking and hiking out of doors and hop on my bicycle again. Today would have been a good day for it. 

2. For the first time since I rejoined the Fitness Center back in November, its internet service went down today. It wasn't a big deal, but it did mean I couldn't listen to another episode of "The Jukebox Diner"on my Sirius/XM app. After listening to Bach for a while, I changed gears and clicked on my audible.com recording of the book Songlines.

I have become enamored with the book's chapter entitled, "From the Notebooks". In it, Bruce Chatwin records a series of his notebook entries. Some of the entries in this chapter seem random, but many of them are focused on Chatwin's deep interest in the nomadic life, in human restlessness, on the value of travel, and of how important it is (and has been historically) for human beings to stay, in one way or another, on the move. 

I particularly enjoy this entry in which Chatwin quotes from a letter composed by the 19th century philosopher/theologian Soren Kirkegaard: 

Above all, do not lose your desire to walk: every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness; I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it . . . but by sitting still, and the more one sits still, the closer one comes to feeling ill. . .Thus if one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right. 

3. Back home, I fixed messy fried zucchini, sun-dried tomato, mozzarella cheese paninis for Debbie and me, dressed with a mayonnaise, sour cream, plain yogurt, and parsley sauce. I roasted russet potato slices as a side. This was our second HelloFresh meal of the week. I think it's the second time I've made these sandwiches. Neither time did I feel like I quite got it right, but, alas, they tasted pretty good. 


No comments: