Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 01/17/07: Hanh, Herman, Copia

1. I hadn't met with my MW Writing 122 class for a week and it was wonderful to see them again. I was surprised how familiar they seemed to me, how many of their names I remembered, and how well we seem to be getting along. They collectively seemed excited about studying a little Buddhism and Thich Nhat Hanh's "Being Peace".

2. Herman told me he won $600 at Luckey's playing video poker. Herman's always proud of the way he takes his occasional video poker winnings straight to the bank and pays bills. Herman is also very proud of a ukelele tape he has. He told me this guy makes the ukelele sound like an opera singer. He promises to let me listen to it.

3. It's been a year since I've introduced students to Robert Grudin's ideas about dialogical thinking and his application of the ancient rhetorical trope "copia" to contemporary practices of critical thinking. I could tell his ideas were stimulating to my class. We are starting to roll.

No comments: