Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Boy in a Chair with a Tree Growing Out the Top of His Head

The Lane Community College campus has a sculpture I'm obssessed with. It is a boy in an oversized chair sitting, thinking, and he has a tree growing out of his head. Here are two views of the sculpture that give you some sense of the piece's proportions:




My students have written about his piece of sculpture in a variety of ways. Usually the see the tree growing out of his head as a portrayal of learning. I agree. This picture, showing the boy's face in both light and shadow suggests to me that learning has its light and dark aspects:



I photographed him as the sky turned gray:


And at night:


4 comments:

Student of Life said...

Nice. Very nice.

Mommy Dearest said...

Beautiful. And beautiful photography, too.

Katrina said...

I love this sculpture!

How about Boy as a seed for growth and change in the world? The fertilizer: imagination, self-reflection, critical thinking.

On another note...I wish I had a really big chair, one that would allow me to swing my feet above the ground.

Thanks for the photos!

raymond pert said...

Thank you. It's so fun to have the three of you converge at my blog after seeing you have found each other in your blogs.

Katrina, I think what you said is just what the sculptor would have all of us see as we go about the pleasure of education at Lane Community College. Thanks again.