Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 01/23/07: Knight, Tech, the Dancing Machine

1. When Texas Tech basketball coach Bob Knight feels secure and isn't under (perceived) attack, he is a pleasure to listen to. Driving home from school today, I listened to Dan Patrick talk with him and enjoyed it. At his best, Knight is an engaging, perceptive, intelligent, self-depracating guy and the dark side recedes.

2. Slowly, patiently, and, I think, surely the tech. dimension is taking shape in our production of Othello. I love seeing the props, sound cues, movement of props and other tech things fall into place. It's as if a play has a triple spine or backbone: script, acting, tech. When all three click together it's genuinely awesome.

3. Starr Kelso posted a video of Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine from the Gong Show at his blog. Watching it before I left for school today got me revved up for work. Man. I loved the Gong Show!

2 comments:

Go Figure said...

rp,
glad it got your day off to a good start. i had forgotten how much i enjoyed it. pure fun for the pure sake of fun.
starr

Student of Life said...

RP,
I want you to know that you have inspired me in a new way. I went to a performing arts high school, and loved every minute of it. I studied many of the works you dicuss and I have performed several of them as well. Now that I'm out of TV and into my new life, I've reopened the creative part of my brain. I'm going to continue writing for awhile, but you're inspiring me to try theatre again, too. It did something amazing to my soul, and I would like to feel that again. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll let you know when I get the balls.