Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Raymond, You Are So 2002

I check in on Student of Life's blog every day. Today she listed what she is listening to on her I-pod and it struck me in two ways. First, I at least had the illusion I got to know her better and, second, it gave me ideas for music to look into or revisit. So, I thought I'd list what's on my mp3 player right now. It's another way to blog about Kellogg. Somehow, the soundprints of Kellogg are all over this music:

*Allison Moorer: a Napster live performance of "All Aboard" I love the guitar work.
*Austin Hanks: "Sucker Punch"
*Brooks and Dunn "That's What It's All About" Gotta get "My Maria" on here
*Drive by Truckers "Marry Me" If you haven't found this southern grits band, they are smart.
*Eurythmics Pole dance version of "Sweet Dreams" "Missionary Man" "Would I Lie to You?"
*Gavin DeGraw "Chariot"
*Jon Nicholson "Love is Alright"
*Keith Urban "Making Memories of Us"
*Kris Kristoffersen "Help Me Make it Through the Night" (Drunk self-pity song?)
*Lucinda Williams "Righteously" "Be my lover don't play no game/Just play me John Coltraine" Let's see, what would I do to have those words spoken to me? Ahhhhhhhh!
*Merle Haggard "That's the Way Love Goes" "Misery and Gin"
*Ryan Adams "Chin Up, Cheer Up"
*Shannon Lawson "Bad, Bad, Bad"
*Shooter Jennings "4th of July" This is one of my favorite songs ever: a love road/RV song
*Steely Dan Greatest Hits
*The Alan Parsons Project the albums "Eve" and "Vulture Culture" takes me back to 1979-82
*Uncle Tupelo "Give Back the Key to my Heart" "Punch Drunk"
*Whiskeytown "Jacksonville Skyline"
*Wilco "Passenger Side"

Back in the immediate aftermath of the release of the I-pod, it was common for ESPN radio hosts like Sean Salisbury and Doug Gottlieb to act hip by asking athletes, "What's on your I-Pod, dawg?"

So, I'm a few years behind. And I'm not a dawg. I enjoyed reading Student of Life's post. Making Flippy Floppy is really good about posting his music (and restaurant) tastes. I'm hoping this is timeless: this sharing music pleasures.

No comments: