Friday, January 26, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 01/26/07: Geese, Burma, Leah

1. The soccer field below the Blue Door Theater at Lane Community College was covered by geese this evening. With a honking whoosh they took off and flew north and then east. There they go:




2. I have never worked with a student from Burma before and in my conference today with M., I learned a great deal about Burma and the difficult conditions people live in there.

3. Leah, a former student and current tutor, is all right now. The last time I saw her, she was in a wheelchair. It turns out she had a blood clot in her leg. She recently spent nine days in the hospital to get things rectified. She's back on her feet. Today, she needed a ride to the doctor and on the way she told me about how her family is doing and the Shakespeare productions she has seen at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland. We also talked about our pets. It was a great ride to her appointment.

3 comments:

Rick Wainright said...

The most difficult thing about living in Burma is that it doesn't exist anymore. It is now called Myanmar. At least since about 1989 or so. I guess that is why you don't teach world politics or geography. LOL

raymond pert said...

You are right! Somewhere in the dark recesses of my slow to change mind I knew that...and it makes me realize that my student is being kind to me and the rest of the class to say he's from Burma. Honest to God, I'm going to try to get Myanmar lodged in my head so that when M and I talk about his country, I'm getting it right!

Thanks old friend! Later.
rp

Rick Wainright said...

Got another one for you, in case it comes up. There is no more Soviet Union and damn it if they didn't change the capital of China from Peking to Beijing, the inconsiderate bastards. That info might not have reached the hinterlands of Oregon. By the way, I am still a smartass. Few things change.