Saturday, December 30, 2006

Kellogg Tour: First Neighborhood, Photos taken 12/30/2006 (Part 1)

From about the time I was two years old until early summer 1962, I lived in this house at 14 E. Portland. It's a a more finished house now with the metal roof and what appears to be a functional upstairs.





Across the street was the Russell house. They were a very large family. They had about six or seven kids, at least. Forty-five years ago, I thought this house was a mansion:We lived next door to our landlord's mom, Hedve Lenhart. She'd been married to a WWII vet name Papesh. He was killed in the war. Billy Papesh was their son. Our house was his. Billy lost an eye smashing live ammunition with a rock. He did it in our neighborhood. He has a glass eye.


Here is a picture of Bill Papesh today. He is president of WM Advisors, Inc. You can read more here:


As the Cold War got more tense in 1961 and 1962, fellow neighborhood boy Duane Gunderson and I used to speculate what would happen if the Russians bombed Kellogg. For some reason, we had decided that Mr. Dick Cripe was rich and his house was big and the Russians would target his house. Cripes lived across Portland from us and down the street about 500 feet. Here's the Cripe house:



Two doors down Mary Pavelich lived as a widow. Her husband, Nick, an immigrant from Yugoslavia, died of a stroke. He was the first stroke victim I'd ever seen. The stroke thickened his tongue and made his lower lip droop. I'd see him sitting in his wheelchair, sunning. After Nick died, Mary helped Mom sometimes by watching me or my sister Christy if she was short a babysitter. Like Bill Papesh, Dan rose to the top of the Spokane world of finances. He recently retired as the Chairman and CEO of BDO Seidman and sits on the boards of Catalytic Software, Washington Mutual Bank, and Wildseed Ltd. Here is the Pavelitch house:

Please come back for more pictures and my take on some other aspects of my life in Kellogg.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I can't believe how much Kellogg reminds me of Wellington, Kansas. Makes me miss home so much, oh the ache in my heart!! Hope you are having lots of fun, although it sounds as though you are!!!
Terese

Anonymous said...

I too am from Kellogg. I was looking for a new wallpaper for my computer for the New Year and thought I would google Kellogg and see what came up. I already have a picture of the high school on my desk in the snow with my husband on one of our visits there. It was funny to see the Russell house. I used to babysit for them when I was in high school. There were 11 of them at that time. Their grandmother was a very dear friend of my mother. My mother was KHS class of 28--valedictorian no less. Nice to see the pics. I choose the one of main st.

raymond pert said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you very much for looking at the pictures and for telling me about your mother and the picture you chose for wallpaper.

If you'd ever like to swap Kellogg stories and identify yourself, please email me at billy1227@gmail.com