Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Three Beautiful Things 12/05/06:Living, Hearing, and Listening Well

1. Listening to my WR 121 students read their essays aloud delineating what it means, at this point in time, to live a well-lived life; their responses ranged from a faith in Jesus Christ to taking a leap of faith into a lesbian relationship. I was impressed with their honesty, their acceptance of one another, and, above all, the force of their writing.

2. Often those who have been stricken by meningitis, as I was, suffer hearing loss; I found out today at the audiologist that my hearing is not impaired.

3. Eating a western bacon burger and large fries and drinking a diet Pepsi at Carl's Jr. and having a blend of Christmas music and the Eagles playing on the in-house music system. "Chesnuts roasting on an open fire" + "new kid in town" equals the tasty incongruity of our time.

No comments: