Thursday, September 24, 2009

Three Beautiful Things 09/24/09: Corky 410?, Lunch Fun, Krakauer

Well, I missed a couple or three days of beautiful things. I had beautiful things to report: my concerned fellow instructors at LCC asking me how I was feeling and how it felt to be back at school, meeting with an attorney who has taken over the files of my former attorney who'd been disbarred for fraud and identity theft, having my teeth cleaned by the eternally friendly and highly competent Kristin...she and Trish both make it so that I look forward to going to the dentist....but back to today:

1. Margaret's lunch totaled out at $4.10 and I said, "Wow! There was this guy in Smelterville, Idaho named Corky who claimed he bowled a 410 and kids hounded him, teasing him, calling him Corky 410. The woman training at the register said, "That's what they call me." I nearly dropped my taco salad. "You're kidding!" I said. "No, look at me. I'm 4 foot 10. Corky four ten." She beamed. I walked past her, turned around, and said, "Do they really call you Corky?" "Naw. But I sure got you, didn't I?" "Yes, you did. That was really good," I replied. A little later, I remembered that Corky hadn't claimed to bowl a 410, but a 310. So, I got the story wrong, the girl at the cash register pulled my leg, and we all were very happy.

2. It's been a long time since I ate a lunch with fellow teachers and a bunch of us were in the lounge, telling war stories, bitching, and being clever. It was really fun.

3. Michael is reading Jon Krakauer's new book on Pat Tillman (Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman) and he and I had a really stimulating talk about Krakauer's writing and how much we enjoyed the movie version of "Into the Wild".

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

If any more new books come out this month I won't get any work done on my National Boards! Foster was pleased to hear of the connections and said he was coming with questions Wednesday ( two of the women on the NIWP board knew him... one had him as a student teaching mentor, the other through National Boards). I remember the story of Corky 310 well.