Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Three Beautiful Things 10/06/09: Comp Bliss, Cheese and Bacon, Remarkable Twins

1. In WR 121, my students are exploring the human experience of loss and it's blissful to listen to their insights and read how they working them out in their writing.

2. Back in the spring, when I lost my appetite for food I loved, thanks to pneumonia and c-diff, I lost my love for grilled bacon and cheese sandwiches. After my night class, I returned to this fatty, greasy treat: fried bacon and Sharp Cheddar Cheese grilled between slices of Farmhouse Bakery Sunflower bread -- and then I opened the sandwich and laid three slices of tomato between the bacon and the bread. I also fixed the perfect complement: Pacific Natural creamy tomato soup.

3. I'm a fan of the Detroit Tigers and have been for a long time, but it's hard not to enjoy the improbable run the Twins made to tie the Tigers for the division lead and then beat them in extra innings in the one game playoff to advance to the playoffs. The Twins' organization and they way they play baseball is remarkable, even if they do lack the overall firepower to advance to the World Series.

No comments: