Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Three Beautiful Things 10/20/09: Chivalry?, Best Laid Plans, Late Night with Brie

1. The woman at Starbuck's broke into a contagious smile of delight and gratitude: I opened the door for her.

2. I went to the library to check whether the class visit scheduled for six o'clock was still on. It wasn't. The LCC library staff is like gold to airy thinness beat by illness, a sabbatical, two resignations by librarians who pursued dreams elsewhere, and reduction in force. I sat down with the library director and we had the most calm, understanding, mature conversation about rescheduling my class's visit and the terrible stress her staff is under.

3. Tonight was one of those nights when I was ecstatic to return home at nearly 9:30 from teaching night class and remembering that I had, for my pleasure, goldencrisp apples, brie cheese, cold pot roast, wheat crackers, tortilla chips and salsa, and refrigerated water to help me wind down.

No comments: