Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 03/15/10:Falling in Love -- at a Final Exam! , Pickle Face-Off, I'm a Low Maintenance Low Budget Man

1. ENG 106 final. One by one students handed in their exam papers. "Can I keep the poem you had us write on?" "Can I take the poem home?" "I really want to keep that poem. Can I have it?" "Do I have to give you back this poem? I want it. Is that okay?" I beamed. Sure. I'm glad you want it. It's all yours. The poem? "Kindness" by Naomi Shihab Nye.

2. In a taste test conducted at the kitchen counter, InlandEmpireGirl's dill pickles are far better than Nalley's Crunchy Dills. One problem, though. The Nalley pickle is more loaded with memory. One bite of the Nalley's Crunchy Dill and I was back at the family dining table eating grilled American cheese sandwiches on a break from a day long game of Canasta. InlandEmpireGirl's pickles taste sublime. The Nalley pickle, though, is packed in the brine of daydreams and memories.

3. Dinner? I'm easy: pot roast, green beans, boiled russet potatoes, butter, and pepper. Works every single time.

No comments: