Sunday, May 2, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 05/01/10: Farcical Photo Outing, Eye Opening Conversation, Hilarity with Rocket

1. Russell and I had kind of a farcical outing. I needed a card for my camera, I bought the wrong one, didn't realize that until we were all the way out of town, so we came back to Staples, I bought a correct card, and then we had a good time taking photographs south of Eugene near where Berteleson and Bailey Hill intersect. I'd like to go back there.

2. After reading around about lawn mowers, I went to Lowe's to buy a Fiskars Momentum 317736 and one of my students, Alicia (not her real name), assisted me and we got to talking about her life and she told me about how she works full time at Lowe's and takes eight credits at LCC and is financially supporting her mom and dad during a time of unemployment and illness. I was staggered. I know plenty of 20 somethings who are being supported at home by their parents, but very few who live at home so they can support their parents. . . . and this after Alicia and her classmates had just studied Kafka's "Metamorphosis", a story about a young man who lives at home and works full time to financially support his family. To be fair, it sounds like Alicia's family is more assertive about trying to find work than Gregor Samsa's were.

3. One of the most fun things going on in my life right now is being back in communication with my former Whitworth roommate, Rocket. It all comes back: he gets it and I get it and we make each other laugh all the time. The emails back and forth have been a riot. (The serious stuff is good, too.) Hey, Rocket: being back in touch is uplifting me. So don't Bag It. Okay?

No comments: