Sunday, February 24, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 02/23/13: Corgi Lover, Closing Distance, Curtis Jones

1.  It was a good morning for getting stuff done:  mailing off reunion pictures to friends, shopping for groceries (running into Pam Dane!), buying a Jameson's at the liquor store, and picking up a few things at Albertson's where the kind and friendly cashier loves to talk with me about the corgis.

2.  The Deke asked me what I'd do in my life if money weren't a concern and the first thing I thought of wasn't money but distance.  I'd close the physical distance between me and my family and friends who live anywhere from 600 to 3000 miles away.   We would all remain where we are, but it wouldn't be so far away.  And I didn't mean close the distance with jet travel.  I was dreaming of something entirely impossible. 

3.  I wondered if there were any record online of basketball players I watched at NIC and CSI when I was in high school and in college.  I found out that the sparkling point guard Curtis Jones, in his thirties, sued NIC and the University of Michigan, where he never played, for their collusion in not only having him play basketball, but allowing him to earn college credits at NIC when he was illiterate.  Curtis Jones left NIC after a year and a half, never played basketball again, and suffered from a variety of mental illnesses.  When I saw him play in late winter of 1969, he was the best point guard I'd ever seen.  I had no idea, until today, that he had terrible learning disabilities, was humiliated by his inabilities and was mocked and taunted for them, and suffered mental illness.  I enjoyed the memory of watching him play.  The rest of the story disturbed me.

No comments: